Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Place Mats

A few months ago I saw these place mats at Target and I just loved the material. The problem was they didn't really seem like anything more than something pretty to look at. I didn't think they would hold up to food and washings, so I had to figure out how I could use them for something else.



My first project I just split the seam and stuffed them and sewed them back up.

Waa laa! New couch cushions!

Then I decided to do a makeover on Molly's rocking chair. It used to sit in her room and was a sage green color. She doesn't have space in her room for a chair so it has been in the living room in this house. I have wanted to paint it for a while so it would look better. So today during nap time I found some spray paint and started painting. Then I decided it would tie in better if I made a seat cushion using another place mat. So when Molly woke up we ran to Target grabbed another place mat and a piece of foam and came home and attached the seat.

I know the pictures are hard to see, but I love the way they turned out.


7 comments:

Ben & Rachel said...

very cute

Jennifer said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so impressed at the chair, too. That's way harder than pillows! Great job!

Bonnie said...

genius! great job, u have inspired me to think out side the box and repurpose things with fun materials!

Karisa said...

Fun! I love projects. (Half of mine don't turn out, so I'm glad yours did!)

Lauren M said...

I love the idea. I especially love the rocking chair. It looks like something you could keep in your family room even after Molly gets too big for. Way to go Sarah!

Sister Mullen said...

I love black touches in a room. Your rocker turned out great, especially the seat. I would have made another pillow and just set it on the seat. You went the whole nine yards and made a more upholstered look. Very clever.

Emily said...

Sarah, you are so creative. I love it! Did you do that with a cast on your wrist?