Saturday, September 5, 2009

Grandpa Everitt

When we decided to move to Indiana I was excited to be moving so close to my Mom's hometown. My Grandfather was the Dean of engineering over at University of Illinois and after he passed away, the engineering building was named after him. I have not seen the building in twenty years, so we decided to drive over to Illinois.

This is the house my Mom grew up in. I knocked on the door to ask if we could take a picture and she invited us in and gave us a tour. We were able to see a lot of my grandpas woodwork and she even showed us labels in the closet that my grandmother had put there. My Grandma died before I was born, so it was neat to see her handwriting and her love of organizing. Something she and I both share!
The mailbox still says W.L. Everitt!




This is my step Grandma. We stopped in to say hello and had a good visit.




Then we headed over to see his building. While I know this posting is not interesting to everyone, I know my brothers will appreciate it. I felt so proud seeing his name everywhere!



This plaque has some of his quotes on it and captures his personality quite well. Hard to read, but very funny!











Molly in front of the building.







Me








Me, My engineer husband and our future engineer. I think Grandpa would approve!
Of all the things I am most proud about my Grandpa, it is the legacy of goodness and kindness he left behind. He had many accomplishments in his life. He changed aviation and radio and the world of engineering, but people who knew him loved him because he was so kind. He was known for getting to know his students and helping them in life, not just academics. He was funny and inviting. He had an open door policy that enticed his students to confide and trust him. I am grateful for the memories I have with him and I wish he were still around. I think we would have had a great time together.
Tomorrow will be 23 years since he passed away.








9 comments:

Kate said...

That is great that you got to go see all of that family history! This is a post that you should print out and put in Molly's journal! Very fun!

Sister Mullen said...

What a wonderful heritage! (I hope that you copied the plaque or that you can copy the quotes from the photo.) The pictures are really special as are the stories behind them.

Boop said...

What an incredible experience and something cool to share with Molly as she grows up. Tell your engineer husband good luck as he starts school:)

Becky said...

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing. I get the feeling you and your family could live just about anywhere and fit right in. Good luck with the start of a new school year!

Ben & Rachel said...

What a great trip. I especially love the mailbox.

Emily said...

Wow! That is so cool! How neat that the owners of the house were so welcoming and let you take pictures.

Jennifer said...

That is SO neat! I'm so glad you got to do that!!!!

John said...

fun documentary. thanks for sharing.

connie said...

I was able to read the whole plaque. How fun and cool! I would have made the blog twice as long if I had a "building name"relative. thanks for sharing. Best wishes in Hoosier-land. love Aunt Connie