Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bye, Bye Beep Beep!

I have a lot of blogging to catch up on and now that we have the house mostly un-packed I really should catch up, but right now I have to blog about this...even though it is out of order.
Tonight we had a "Bye, Bye Binky" party for Molly. It's been a long time coming, but I have dreaded this day. She loves the binky ( she refers to it as a beep beep) and while people look at her and see this almost three year old with a pacifier, all I see is my baby. Somehow I feel like taking it away from her is taking my baby from me.
A while back we took the binky down to nap and bed time but the time has come to take it from her.
We talked this party up for a while and she has been so excited. She picked out a cake and we made it together and then we had ourselves a party.

I found a bag of Binky's while I was unpacking and it was full of every kind of pacifier known to man. I did everything I could to get this kid to take a pacifier when she was born.

So we put some of them on the cake and made up a song about what a big girl she is and how she doesn't need a binky anymore.

Her last little suck.

And then we threw them away. I wanted her to see they were going in the garbage and I wanted her to do it by her own choice. Which she was happy to do. I on the other hand bawled like a little baby. I did not expect these emotions to come out. I don't want her to have a binky, I don't, but it was just harder than I thought it would be.

Nathan, Molly and I danced and played and had a great time together.
About an hour before bed she cried and said, "why did we throw my beep beep's away?" I picked her up and told her she was a big girl and she didn't need them anymore. She was fine with that. Then bed time came and I was nervous to put her to bed.
She went to bed just fine. No crying. Nothing.
A half hour later she walked out of her room. Trying so hard not to cry and said,
"I am not a big girl"
That was it.
For day one.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ben & Rachel said...

Ahhh! I know how you feel Sarah. It is hard for the mom and kid. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

I can just imagine the emotions you were feeling!! That would be hard. I love the pictures, the cake, the binkies, the trash can. I think you did it really well. Poor Molly; poor you. Tough times. I have to say, when I read the end of the post, I could really imagine MYSELF on a hard day saying, "I am not a big girl." ;) Sweet post.

Christie said...

When we did it with Hannah, she went to bed and also came out declaring that being 3 was really hard. :( She got a new stuffy the next day to hold instead of her pacifier.

Christie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mbreck said...

It is a hard time. My youngest was the only one that took to a pacifier. He was getting very attatched I thought and so before he was 1 I took it away. After that he started sucking on rags. He would find one, dip it in the bathtub when his siblings were in there and suck away. My sister even crocheted one for his birthday. He loved them and it was his new pacifier. Until his lips started cracking and bleeding. Bye bye rag. It was horrible. We don't want it because it is like one more step for our kids towards growing up which is hard. You did a great job.

Melanie said...

That is the sweetest, saddest story ever! What a big girl- good luck with day 2!

Trent and Meg said...

Oh what a sweet girl...I'm sorry letting go of "beep beep" was hard...but it will come :) Good luck :) Hugs to you friend :)

Becky said...

Such a cute post! And I have to say, you are awesome parents!! What a great idea to throw a party. Maybe that's why my kids don't use "beep beeps" they know even from birth their mom would never be cool enough to think of throwing a goodbye party. Pat yourselves on the back. Great job and keep going!

DM Everitts said...

Love the cake Sarah. When Jess and Sam had their parties they traded their binkie for a small gift (both were stuffed animals). I love the idea that she had to choose to throw hers away. Nelson will have his bye bye binkie party after all of our stinkin birthdays!!

Karisa said...

My brother tied his daughter's pacees (binkys) to helium balloons and sent them up to heaven for the babies up there. When I saw my almost three year old niece, she told me about her good deed, and it was adorable. I'm going to need these great ideas!
Poor Molly and Mommy! You two are so cute. It must be so hard!