Thursday, July 28, 2011

Potty Training

Potty training has been a long time coming. Molly is almost 3 and a half and up until Friday if you even tried to get her to sit on a potty she would arch her back and scream like she was being abused. I have been so worried about how to help her get over her fear but on Friday she decided she was ready.

We have offered every bribe in the book including this baby doll that she really wanted. It has been sitting on a shelf for four months. She calls her "baby Claire" and every time I would try and entice her with actually getting to play with the doll she would tell me, "Baby Claire will wait". It was very frustrating, but she made it. She finally earned baby Claire and she is in love with this doll. It hardly leaves her side.



I never thought I would want to shout from the roof tops that my kid can go potty in the toilet, but that is exactly what I wanted to do. I love seeing how proud Molly is of herself that she overcame her fear. It is such a cool feeling as a parent to see your kid progress.

My favorite quote from the whole process was the first day she wore big girl underwear. One of the bribes we had tried was 5 coins. Molly LOVES money. I overheard her say,
"I love underwear on my bum, and money in my hand!"

6 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

This post brings back so many memories. I LOVE watching my kids gain confidence in something. It is so rewarding as a parent. Yeah Molly!!!

Ben & Rachel said...

That's weird I say the exact same thing "I love underwear on my bum and money in my hand!"

Tell Molly congratulations!

The Asays said...

Hooray, Molly!!

Jennifer said...

OH yay!!! That is such a huge accomplishment, not the least of which is you're not burdened by a diaper bag any more! That is fantastic. Love the pictures of her with her earned dolly. I'm LOVING her underwear-money quote. That's the best!

Emily said...

Man, I couldn't have said it better myself. Hilarious.
Oh, and congratulations. Potty training your kid is a HUGE accomplishment. We finally did it after several false-starts, too. Every time I have to potty train, I call my mom and thank her for doing it for me because it sucks so bad.

Unknown said...

nice way to collect ur memories... cute kids..
interview process.